Monday, March 12, 2012

Trip to Amherst

It seems that life has caught up on me, and I haven't blogged at all.  Which is somewhat sad, I suppose.

I do have something interesting to talk about a little though.  This past weekend (Saturday specifically) I went on a trip to Amherst, Massachusetts to visit the Emily Dickinson museum (which is actually her house and the house in which her brother and wife lived in).  It was an interesting experience, and we all went on an hour and a half tour of both of the houses. I learned quite a lot about Emily and her life, more than I knew before at the very least.  Not that I knew too much to begin with, honestly.  I never was particularly interested in her poetry too much, but I found her life to be intriguing at the very least.  And I never knew that she was a red-head, either.

We visited her gravestone, too, in the cemetery nearby, and I never had realized before how creepy and sullen graveyards actually are.  Many of the stones there were wore off completely, and most of them were from the mid-1800s (like Emily Dickinson's, though hers and her family member's were more better kept than almost any of the others in the cemetery).  It might be interesting to write a story about a cemetery in the near future.  There's just something about death that compels silence, somehow for me; although I know that nowadays, most people don't regard the dead with much respect.  While we were there, I found one of those red Solo cups and realized that college kids had probably been drinking in the cemetery at some point.  It saddened me.

So, that was fun, and worth the six-hour round trip car ride with the English Club members, whom I honestly don't know that well.  They were all very nice to me, however, and it made me happy.  And I didn't have to pay for anything except for food, because the college's Student Association paid for the trip. Although I still spent more than I should have on souvenirs (they had some neat postcards for sale at the museum, and I've used most of them for Postcrossing already, though I have one left).

That's all for now. :)

1 comment:

  1. My knowledge of Emily Dickinson is limited to the fact that some of her poems are in iambic quadrameter, which means thay can be sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island :P

    ReplyDelete